Text Only
Accessibility Options
Default Text Size icon Large Text Size icon Largest Text Size icon
Set your Postcode This will personalise content such as news & events with the latest from your area.
Register For
Skip Content Skip Content

Arrangements for the appointment of an Acting Police and Crime Commissioner


The South Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel has announced that it will meet on Thursday 18 September at 9.30am – Rotherham Town Hall to make arrangements for the appointment of an Acting Police and Crime Commissioner following Shaun Wright’s resignation yesterday (Tuesday 16 September).  Details of the Panel meeting can be found here.

Arrangements for the forthcoming by-election (date to be confirmed by the Returning Officer)

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Chief Executive is working with the Returning Officer, South Yorkshire’s Police and Crime Panel, and the Home Office on arrangements for a by-election. The date of the by-election will be announced by the Police Area Returning Officer in due course. For enquiries about the by-election, please contact Barnsley Council or visit their website.

Useful information

For further guidance and resources on the role of a Police and Crime Commissioner, please visit the Electoral Commission Website

Standing as a candidate in the by-election

A person may stand as a PCC if;

  • They are 18 or over.  They are a British, Commonwealth or EU citizen
  • They are registered to vote in the force area in which they wish to stand

A person may not stand as a PCC if;

  • They have been convicted of an imprisonable offence They are a serving; civil servant, judge, police officer, member of the regular armed forces, employee of a council within the force area, employee of a police related agency, employee of another government agency, politically restricted post-holder, member of police staff (including PCSOs) or member of a police authority
  • MEPs, MSPs, AMs and MPs will be able to stand as PCCs, but will need to stand down from their existing post before being able to accept the post of PCC

Voting in the by-election

You can vote in the election if;

  • you are resident in that particular area
  • a British citizen living in the UK or registered to vote as a crown servant or member of the armed services
  • a European Union citizen living in the UK
  • a Commonwealth citizen who either does not need leave to be resident in the UK, or has the necessary leave and is legally resident in the UK

A Police Area Returning Officer (PARO) will be responsible for the overall conduct of the election of a Police and Crime Commissioner for each police area in England and Wales. The PARO will undertake the duties prescribed by Regulations under the provisions of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act. Further details about the election process and how to stand will be issued by the Electoral Commission. 

Posted on Wednesday 17th September 2014
Share this
Powered by Contensis