Aims of the Panel
1. To assist the communities of South Yorkshire to understand the role of the police in relation to protests and demonstrations, in partnership with the engagement teams of the OPCC and SYP.
2. To offer a formal channel for consultation and advice* to South Yorkshire Police on: routes; possible conditions; and applications for prohibition, where statutory criteria are met.
3. To seek to limit the negative impact which protests and demonstrations have on communities, whilst recognising that people have a democratic right to protest.
4. To provide independent support and challenge to SYP in the planning and learning stages of managing protests and marches.
* This is not intended to replace the Force engagement and intelligence-gathering that should occur as part of normal operational business.
Terms of Reference
To work with the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Independent Ethics Panel and Independent Advisory Panel for Minority Communities in order to:
• Advise the Police and Crime Commissioner and Chief Constable on South Yorkshire Police’s approach to the policing of protests and demonstrations in South Yorkshire, including the development and review of relevant policies, practices and procedures.
• Advise during the planning process of major protests or demonstrations, attend major protests or demonstrations, observing police activity and interaction with demonstrators and contribute to the debrief process.
• Consider the issues raised by communities and organisations over the policing of protests and demonstrations, and advise the Force accordingly.
• Assure the PCC that proper procedures are in place in South Yorkshire Police to respond effectively when people complain about the policing of a protest or demonstration.
• Provide local and strategic advice as and when required.
Chair – Andrew Lockley
Vice Chair - Abdul Khayum
2 members from the Independent Ethics Panel (IEP)
2 members from the Minority Communities Independent Advisory Panel (MCIAP)
(Maximum membership 8)