The Independent Ethics Panel will be responsible for:
- Articulating and promoting the influence of professional ethics in all aspects of policing.
- Supporting the Commissioner and Chief Constable to consider ethical dimensions of their work.
- Anticipating ethical challenges facing the police service and the correct response.
- Supporting those who wish to use the Panel as a forum for whistleblowing.
- Promoting compliance with the Code of Ethics for police officers and the wider police family.
- Promoting the influence of ethics in delivering excellent quality of service.
- Influencing changes in policy.
- Regular reporting on its work and findings.
- Encouraging a culture of learning-lessons.
- Assuring the Commissioner and Chief Constable that ethics, diversity and compliance standards and procedures are effective
in South Yorkshire Police and the Office of Police and Crime Commissioner.
- Ensuring South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner and South Yorkshire Police’s ethics, diversity and compliance standards and
procedures are effectively communicated to the public.
- Considering referrals from the Police and Crime Commissioner and/or the Chief Constable on matters that fall within the remit of the
The Terms of Reference were agreed at the first meeting of the Panel on 22 January 2015. They will be reviewed at the meeting on 2 July 2015.